BubbaMoose.com > Models > Kitty Hawk T-28B/D
Kitty Hawk 1/32 T-28B/D "Trojan"
For historical and technical background, see the Wikipedia entry click HERE
(Kitty Hawk T-28B/D kit box art)
I. Kit Contents:
Six gray sprues and one clear.  Plenty of weapons options.  
Details on the moldings looks excellent.
Kit Decals:
II. Aftermarket Stuff:
Out of the box, this kit represents a Navy trainer variant.  To make it more Vietnam-
War specific, AMS Resins has these parts depicting the USAF type propeller blades,
Yankee extraction seats and armor, a gun sight and a replacement for the Navy type
perforated speed brake.
Eduard photoetch cockpit parts.
III. Assembly:
(BELOW) Before we get started, some clean-up of parts must be accomplished.  These
cockpit side panels have these injector pin things leftover from the molding process.  Kitty
Hawk kits have a reputation for being "quirky."  This is one example of that.
Here the cockpit assembly is nearly complete.  The seats are the AMS Resins Yankee seats.
Also visible are the places that I removed the mold ejector pins.
The in-fuselage wheel wells are a five-piece box like assembly.......
....that once assembled, fit neatly into their place in the fuselage halves.
I suppose this little rear fuselage cutout is necessary to accommodate other T-28 kit
variations.  It fit without any problems.
I ran into the ejector pins on the engine parts, but once removed it went together just fine.
It looks good and is adequately detailed.  Ignore the paint on my hand.
Assembly went on as expected.  I finished the fuselage, built up the wings, stabilizers, etc.
Then, I ran into this:
Now I've seen a few T-28's in my day.  I know they don't look like that.  I have a drawer of
sheet plastic just for these occasions.  (BELOW) I made up some shims to be added at
strategic places to get a more realistic dihedral.  That looks more like it.
?!?!?!??
Where this kit is good, which is most of it, it is really good.  The above situation was the
worst I ran into, and was an easy fix that took about an hour of my time.  Assembly
continued smoothly.
AOA Decals for Southeast Asia air forces.
I plan on doing this as a RVNAF (South Vietnam
Air Force) aircraft circa 1965.
Decal A:
Decal B:
Visible here is where I put the sheet plastic shim to correct the dihedral problem.
This was the moment I discovered I had a tail-sitter.  Sometimes it sits correctly, other
times it doesn't.  I managed to put those weights right at the balance point, I suppose.
Another 2mm forward and I wouldn't have this problem.
A look at the cockpit.  I decided to close the canopy up because I didn't like the way the
rear one fit in the open position.
IV.  Painting:
Model was painted Light Gull Gray 36440 with white undersides.  The black panel was
done by drawing out a template by hand and using it as a guide to mask off the area.
Model Master paints were used.
V. Finishing Up/Decals/Details
I masked off the anti-glare panel and sprayed that.  The AOA decals went on without a
hitch.  Yeah, I use a lot of Paasche H airbrushes.  I have one for everything: Enamels,
Acrylics, clear coats, etc.  Panel line wash is thinned down artists oil paint.
That's all Folks!  The finished product can be
seen on the next page.  Click
HERE
© BubbaMoose.com
A word of warning for anyone planning on building this kit:
I failed to mention in the "Kit Contents" section that Kitty Hawk provides two
metal nose weight ballasts with the kit to prevent the finished model from
being a tail sitter.  These are to be glued either side (outside edge) of the nose
landing gear well box.  There is room for error here.  Attach them as far forward
as they will fit.  I didn't, and paid the price.  Close, but no banana.